The department of Pediatric in Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hospital was established in 1934, which is the first department of Pediatric in Guangdong Province. It was the first base for Pediatric master and doctoral education. Recently, our department has been awarded as a key clinical specialty of Guangdong Province. There are several specialized subjects in our departments, including hematology, oncology, hematopoietic stem cell transplantation, neuroendocrine, respiratory, rheumatism immunology, neonatal and pediatric intensive care. The specialized subjects of hematology, oncology, respiratory, rheumatism immunology, neonatal and pediatric intensive care are located in North Hospital, while the other specialized subjects located in the South Hospital. Notably, the specialty of pediatric hematology in our department has been awarded as a national key clinical specialty. Our department has over 200 staff numbers, including clinical doctors and nurses. There are 11 employees with senior professional titles and 13 with deputy senior professional titles in total, as well as 4 PhD supervisors and 16 master supervisors. Lots of prestigious Pediatric experts worked in our departments. Our department has got rapid development due to the devotion of many famous Pediatric experts such as Zhong Shifan, Huang Shaoliang and Fang Jianpei.
Featured Medical Technology
The department of Pediatric of Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hospital is awarded a member of national cooperation group for diagnosis and treatments of childhood hematology and solid tumor. Recently, our department has leaded a cooperation group in South China for the chemotherapy of acute lymphoblastic leukemia, which is consisted of 21 hospitals in South China. The rate of 5 years overall survival for childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia is about 83.5%. In 1998, we successfully performed the first umbilical cord blood transplantation for children with thalassemia in Mainland China. We have finished more than 600 cases of hematopoietic stem cell transplantation to date. Recently, we conduct a clinical trial on umbilical cord blood transplantation for children with neuroblastoma. Furthermore, we conduct other clinical trials, such as cladribine for the treatment of pediatric acute myeloid leukemia, arsenic trioxide for the treatment of refractory/relapse neuroblastoma.
Our department is also a member of standardized treatment for the childhood asthma in Guangdong Province. The specialized subject of rheumatism immunology in our department is the first subject in a large and comprehensive 3A-Grade hospital in Guangdong. We focus on the diagnosis and treatments of pediatric idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis and systemic lupus erythematosus. Last but not the least, specialized subject of neonatal and pediatric intensive care is an important part of our department. We are expert in taking care of preterm infants. We have performed many new medical technologies for treatments, such as continuous renal replacement therapy, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.
Scientific Research Results
1. “Strategy and Mechanism of MSC Promoting the Implantation of Hematopoietic Stem Cells in Sensitized Recipients” was funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (30872383), from 1/2009 to 12/2011.
2. “The effect of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells on GVHD and GVL and the combined transplantation strategy” was funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (30872786), from 1/2009 to 12/2011.
3. “Study on the mechanism of multi-point targeted therapy of leukemia stem cells by combining inducing Xaf1 and silencing VEGF-R2” was funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (30872785), from 1/2009 to 12/2011.
4. “Adeno-associated virus-mediated CXCR4 and TRAIL gene modified bone marrow MSC targeted therapy for minimal residual disease of leukemia” was funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (30871093), from 1/2009 to 12/2009.
5. “Study on the Mechanism of FIP200 Mediated Autophagy Regulating Chemotherapy Resistance in Leukemia Cells” was funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (81100370), from 1/2012 to 12/2014.
6. “The role of Mitophagy in Erythroid Cells Differentiation of Beta-thalassemia” was funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (81370603), from 1/2014 to 12/2017.
7. “Study on the Mechanism of Autophagy-related Resistance Induced by ULK1-FIP200-Regulated HMGB1 Translocation in Leukemia” was funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (81570140), from 1/2016 to 12/2019.
1.“A series of basic and clinical studies on umbilical cord blood transplantation in children” won the First Prize of Science and Technology Progress Award of Ministry of Education in 2003.
2. “A series of basic and clinical studies on umbilical cord blood transplantation in children” won the Second Prize of Science and Technology Progress Award of Guangdong Province in 2004.
3. “Basic and clinical research on GVHD and GVL in childhood hematopoietic stem cell transplantation” won the Third Prize of Science and Technology Progress Award of Guangdong Province in 2011.
1. Zhou D, Deoliveira D, Kang Y, Choi SS, Li Z, Chao NJ, Chen BJ. Insulin-like growth factor 1 mitigates hematopoietic toxicity after lethal total body irradiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2013;85(4):1141-1148.
2. Shi PJ, Xu LH, Lin KY, Weng WJ, Fang JP. Synergism between the mTOR inhibitor rapamycin and FAK down-regulation in the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia. J Hematol Oncol 2016;9:12.
3. Xu LH, Fang JP, Liu YC, Jones AI, Chai L. Nucleophosmin mutations confer an independent favorable prognostic impact in 869 pediatric patients with acute myeloid leukemia. Blood Cancer J 2020; 10(1):1.
4. Liu J, Liang R, Huang H, Zhang Y, Xie A, Zhong Y. Effect of an Antagonistic Peptide of CCR5 on the Expression of Autophagy-related Genes and β-Arrestin 2 in Lung Tissues of Asthmatic Mice. Allergy Asthma Immunol Res 2021;13(1):106-121.
5. Li C, Peng X, Feng C, Xiong X, Li J, Liao N, Yang Z, Liu A, Wu P, Liang X, He Y, Tian X, Lin Y, Wang S, Li Y. Excellent Early Outcomes of Combined Chemotherapy with Arsenic Trioxide for Stage 4/M Neuroblastoma in Children A Multi center Nonrandomize d Controlled Trial. Oncol Res 2021 Apr 15. doi: 10.3727/096504021X16184815905096.